What is BigRing?
BigRing Bike Insurance is a comprehensive bike-specific policy made for bikes and bike components. This policy not only covers your bike due to damage from a crash, or if stolen, but also covers extras like racing wheels, helmet and other non-stock accessories. BigRing Bike Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, a Transamerica company and administered by Health Special Risk, Inc.
What types of bikes do you cover?
BigRing covers bikes that are powered by human pedaling. This includes BMX, hybrid, mountain, recumbent, road, tandem and time trial bikes. BigRing also extends coverage to fixed components and accessories.
What types of events does BigRing cover?
These items must be included in the value of the bike.
BigRing Insurance is a comprehensive plan that will provide coverage while riding on/off road, during a named professional or organized event, training and even during leisurely rides. BigRing is not limited to a specific type of riding.
What kind of damage is covered?
BigRing covers damage caused by collision, theft or larceny. We'll pay up to the insured amount to repair or replace your bike with like kind and quality, less the deductible. All repairs must be made in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications or accepted repair practices.
Will the damage to my bicycle be covered if I am at fault for the accident?
Yes. BigRing will provide coverage even regardless of who is at fault. Please see the “What is not covered” question for a full list of policy exclusions.
If my bike is stolen, is it covered?
Yes, as long as it was properly secured. In order to cover your bike in case of theft, we will need you to provide certain pieces of information and insure that necessary precautions were in place against theft. For instance, your bike will not be covered if it was left in an organized competitive cycling event's starting or transition area awaiting use for more than 24 hours before or after the event; or, if it wasn't properly secured with an appropriate locking device. At the time of the claim you will need to provide a copy of the police report detailing the time, place, and manner of the theft and the security device that was used.
Does BigRing cover me if I'm stranded?
Yes, if you are more than one mile away from your point of departure and your bike becomes inoperable due to a crash, breakdown, bad weather, or if you are no longer able to safely operate the covered bike due to an injury. We will reimburse you up to $50 for transportation to get you back to your point of departure unless you are participating in an event that includes a SAG Station or SAG wagon as a part of the event.
What if I’m injured? Does BigRing cover that?
If you chose the optional hospital accident/rider injury coverage, it pays in addition to any health insurance you may have if you visit an emergency room, urgent care facility or are hospitalized as a result of a crash. (Not available in all states.)
How does the optional Rider Injury hospital accident coverage work with your medical Insurance?
- - $200 for Emergency transportation by ambulance (3 per year)
- - $250 per visit for Emergency room/urgent care center visits (unlimited per person per year)
- - $500 a day for Hospital confinement (unlimited per person per year)
- - $100 per visit for medically prescribed physical, massage and chiropractic therapy (5 per year)
The benefit will be paid directly to you, regardless of any other coverage you may have. You can use the paid benefit to help pay for any costs that your insurance may not cover.
Is there a minimum/maximum age for the person insured?
Anyone between the ages of 18 and 85 can be covered.
Are there deductibles?
Yes, there are several deductible levels to choose from depending on the amount of risk you would like to take. The higher the deductible, the lower your premium costs. You’ll have the chance to select your deductible when you go through the application.
Is my bike covered under my homeowners or renters insurance policy?
Your homeowners or renters insurance policy may provide some coverage for your bike, but this coverage may be subject to certain limits or restrictions on the value of the bike and the nature of the losses covered. A bike claim against your homeowners or renters policy may result in an increase in the insurance premiums. Unlike your homeowners or renters insurance, BigRing offers you the security of an insurance policy written with your specific cycling needs in mind.
Do you cover more than one bike on a policy?
Yes, we do. You can cover up to 5 bikes under one policy.
What value should I insure my bike for?
BigRing will insure your bike for the replacement value up to a maximum of $15,000 per bike ($10,000 in AR, CA, OH, and UT). We will pay the amount necessary to repair or replace the covered bike based on the value of like kind and quality, less the deductible. When choosing the amount of coverage, you should consider the current replacement cost of your bike, including any custom components and accessories.
What if I don't want to insure the full amount of my bike? Can I do that?
BigRing will pay you the amount necessary to repair or replace the covered bike based on the value of like kind and quality, less the deductible up-to the amount of coverage you selected. If the amount of coverage selected is less than the replacement value we will pay up the amount of coverage selected. You may choose a value lower than the replacement value of the bike.
Can I get a quick rate quote on your website?
Yes, click here to get a quick rate quote. All you have to do is answer a few simple questions to get your quote. Then, if you're ready to be covered, you can enroll from there, too.
My bike isn't brand new - is it still worth insuring?
Yes, your bike can be insured at replacement value. You will need to determine the value and be sure to select the right amount of coverage.
How is the premium determined?
The premium for the policy is determined by several factors including, the number of insured bikes, the value of each insured bike, the deductible, the coverage’s selected, and possibly even the sports association to which you may belong. BigRing does not check your credit report.
Does BigRing cover professional / sponsored cyclists?
Yes, it does. BigRing covers your bike as long as your bike is not being used for employment, such as courier services.
Will my bike be covered if I use it in a race?
Your BigRing policy will provide coverage if you use the bike in race.
Does BigRing cover more than my Bike? Will my helmet or GPS unit be covered?
Yes. BigRing also covers your helmet, components or custom parts that are added to the bike and accessories not affixed to the bike. These items must be included in the value of the bike and declared on your policy.
If my bike is stolen or being repaired, does BigRing help me rent another bike for an event?
Yes. We’ll provide a reimbursement of up to $250 to put toward the rental of a temporary substitute for use during an organized cycling event, trip or race.
Where am I covered?
Your insurance plan will provide coverage on land within the United States of America, its territories or possessions, Puerto Rico or Canada; or while the bicycle is in transit by land or air from and to a location within the United States of America, its territories or possessions, Puerto Rico or Canada.
Can I add or make changes to my policy at any time?
Yes. Changes can be made to your policy and covered equipment on the BigRing Insurance service site.
How do I submit a claim?
Filing a claim with BigRing Insurance will be easy. If you are involved in an accident or if you bike was stolen simply call to (972) 512-5600 or 866-385-1557 (toll-free) for assistance. One of our pleasant and knowledgeable claims associates will be happy to guide you through the claims process. For added convenience you will have access to a claims form on your personalize customer service web site.
Can I choose the bike shop to repair or replace my bike or components?
Yes, you can take your bike anywhere you choose for repairs, however, we will only pay for repairs that are made in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications or accepted repair practices.
What documentation is required for me to submit with my claim?
To avoid delays in processing your claim, be sure to include the following applicable documents with your submission:
How long will it take for my claim to be reviewed and processed?
- - Original purchase invoice/receipt for property
- - Photos of the damage to the covered bike, component, or accessory
- - Surveillance video if available
- - Photos of the area where the property was stolen
- - Police report
- - Photos of the remains of the lock
- - Itemized medical bills
- - Receipts for transportation rental reimbursement and/or replacement helmet
Upon receipt of all necessary completed documentation and forms, claims are usually processed within 7 to 10 business days.
Does BigRing provide coverage to friends or family members who use the covered bike?
BigRing extends coverage to anyone who was given your permission to ride your bike. The individual riding your covered bike would be subject to the same coverage, limitations, and exclusions as you. For theft, you must provide us with a police report and proof that the covered bike was properly secured to an immovable object with an appropriate security locking device.
What if I replace or sell my bike?
We ask that you notify us within 30 days of your intention to replace a covered bike during the coverage period, additional premiums may apply. If you suffer a loss to your new bike before the 30 day notification period ends we will provide the broadest coverage from the existing policy to the loss. Please contact us if you sell your bike without replacing it, we will promptly return any unearned premiums.
Are there any specific security requirements if I transport or store my bike?
BigRing provides coverage for loss from damage or theft during transit if you have shipped your bike on a common carrier or courier service, and you must also follow all of their approved shipping instructions and guidelines.
I have previously made a claim for a bike; will this affect my coverage?
We will not pay to repair the prior damage; however, in the event of a total loss or constructive total loss, the amount we pay will be reduced by the cost that would have been incurred had the prior damage been repaired.
Will my premiums go up if I file a claim?
No, your premiums are not tied to claim usage. There are several factors in determining a policy premium including, the number of insured bikes, the value of each insured bike, the deductible, the coverage selected, and the sports association to which you may belong.
How do I cancel a policy?
We hope you will keep your BigRing coverage, but should you need to cancel it is easy. You can cancel your policy by signing into BigRing service site; clicking on My Choices and selecting “Remove” for any of the covered equipment. You can also call our customer service line – (972) 512-5600 or 866-385-1557 (toll-free).
What's not covered?
In order to keep premium costs down, there are some things that aren't included in the policy. Here is the BigRing legal information to help explain what is not as a part of the plan:
Main Policy Exclusions
Bicycle Physical Damage Exclusions:
We will not pay for loss, damage or expense caused by, to, or resulting from:
- theft of any covered bicycle without signs of forcible entry from the insured location or, if a theft occurs away from the insured location and the covered bicycle is not properly secured to an immovable object with an appropriate security locking device;
- theft of an covered bicycle where you cannot provide us with a copy of a police report detailing the time, place and manner of the theft and the security device that was used;
- any covered bicycle which is left in an organized competitive cycling event’s starting or transition area awaiting use by an insured for more than 24 hours either prior to the commencement or following the conclusion of the event;
- wear and tear and wet or dry rot;
- failure of your tires due to wear and tear or road damage;
- abandonment by you or anyone using the covered bicycle with your permission;
- marring, scratching, denting or any cosmetic change which does not impair the function and performance of the covered bicycle;
- corrosion, rust, change in temperature, dampness, dryness, shrinkage, evaporation, contamination, change in color or finish, dust, chemical action or reaction;
- mechanical breakdown;
- diminution of value;
- failure to use or maintain the covered bicycle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions;
- faulty or defective design, materials or workmanship or latent defect and defects in operation;
- theft of the covered bicycle by a person to whom it is entrusted by an insured; or
- repair or maintenance work.
No coverage is provided under this policy for loss or damage, liabilities incurred by any person, injury or damages or expenses of any type for loss caused by, resulting from or arising out of:
Extended Radioactive Contamination
- ionizing radiations from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel;
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any nuclear installation, reactor or other nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof;
- any weapon or device employing atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion or other like reaction or radioactive force or matter;
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter. The exclusion in this sub-clause does not extend to radioactive isotopes, other than nuclear fuel, when such isotopes are being prepared, carried, stored, or used for commercial, agricultural, medical, scientific or other similar peaceful purpose.
However, if while the covered bicycle is within the policy territory, a fire arises directly or indirectly from one or more of the above causes in item 1., 2., and 4., then any loss or damage arising directly from that fire will, subject to the provisions of this policy, be covered. No coverage is provided for any loss or damage, liabilities incurred by any person, injury or damages or expenses of any type for loss caused by, resulting from or arising out of nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation, or radioactive contamination arising directly or indirectly from that fire.
- War or any warlike operation. This includes declared and undeclared wars, civil wars, revolutions or any civil unrest.
- Delay, confiscation, nationalization or detention by Customs or other government or public authority.
- Willful or intentional misconduct or criminal act on the part of any insured or during any illegal activity on the part of any insured. All States except Illinois and North Dakota: This exclusion includes loss, damage, injury or liability occurring while an insured is operating the covered bicycle with a blood or breath alcohol level equal to or in excess of the legal limit applicable for the operation of motor vehicles in the state where you reside.
North Dakota Only: D. Willful or intentional misconduct or criminal act on the part of any insured or during any illegal activity on the part of any insured, except for a loss arising out of domestic violence and the perpetrator of the loss is criminally prosecuted for the act causing the loss. This exclusion includes loss, damage, injury or liability occurring while an insured is operating the covered bicycle with a blood or breath alcohol level equal to or in excess of the legal limit applicable for the operation of motor vehicles in the state where you reside.
Roadside Assistance Endorsement Exclusions
We will not pay for loss (roadside assistance benefit) that occurs while you are participating in an event that includes a SAG Station or SAG Wagon.
SAG Station means a location along the course of a long mass-participation recreational ride providing mechanical and/or medical assistance to riders in need.
SAG Wagon means a vehicle which carries bicyclists who have withdrawn from the event (due to injury, bicycle malfunction, tiredness, or other reason).
Property In Transit Endorsement Exclusions
We will not pay for loss, theft, damage or expense caused by, to, or resulting from transportation of the covered bicycle on a Common Carrier if the covered bicycle is not packed, secured, restrained, or protected in accordance with the Common Carrier’s guidelines.
Hospital Accident Coverage Endorsement Exclusions
Payments under this section will not be made to, or on behalf of, any person if a loss is a result of:
- an intentionally self-inflicted injury, suicide, or any attempt at suicide, while sane or insane (while sane in Missouri and Colorado);
- any active participation in a riot, insurrection or war, either declared or undeclared;
- the insured's taking or using any narcotic, barbiturate or any other drug or medication, unless taken or used as prescribed by a Physician;
- the insured’s blood alcohol level being .08 percent weight by volume or higher (Except Oklahoma and Vermont);
- the insured’s (Utah: voluntarily participates in) committing or attempting to commit a felony or an assault or being engaged in an illegal activity;
- sickness, disease, bodily or mental infirmity or their medical or surgical treatment including diagnosis (except bacterial infections which result from a bodily injury) or mental disease or disorder;
- voluntary gas inhalation or poison voluntarily taken, administered or inhaled;
- taking alcohol in combination with any drug, medication or sedative (Except Oklahoma); or
- military or combat activities while serving in the armed forces, National Guard or organized reserve corps in any state, country or international authority.